Moist, almondy little cakes
Contributed by Sue Smedley
Makes 8 to 12 cakes
180 g butter
50 g plain flour
180 g icing sugar
100g ground almonds
1 tsp lemon zest
5 egg whites
12 raspberries (or, alternatively, blackberries)
Oven: 200 C or gas mark 6
1. Butter a shallow 12-bun baking tray.
2. Melt the butter gently in a saucepan and watch it carefully until it becomes a dark, nutty gold. Don’t let it burn.
3. Leave the melted butter to cool.
4. Sieve the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
5. Add the almonds and lemon zest to the mix.
6. Beat the egg whites to a soft foam. They shouldn’t be able to stand up.
7. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, then pour in the egg whites and the melted butter.
8. Mix lightly but thoroughly, then pour into the buttered bun baking tray.
9. Drop a raspberry (or chopped blackberry, if they’re big) into the top.
10. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven, then leave to settle before carefully removing them with a palette knife.
12. When cool, dust with icing sugar to serve.